The growth of the life sciences industry in Australia and globally has increased opportunities for local business. With increased opportunity comes increased risk and challenge, so it’s important to have legal advice that is relevant, precise and tailored.
We have one of the largest teams of life science lawyers in Australia and several of our specialist lawyers have science qualifications (including biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, molecular biology and genetics) bringing additional expertise and knowledge to commercial matters affecting the industry.
We have acted for ASX-listed life sciences companies, a wide range of emerging companies, universities and research institutes. We provide advice on all aspects of bio-business, including intellectual property protection and commercialisation, venture capital, capital raising and clinical and regulatory issues.
With our broad experience and deep understanding of health and life sciences we provide expert advice on:
- start up and spin off companies, sponsored and collaborative research and development arrangements and negotiation of grant and funding agreements
- protection, management and commercialisation of intellectual property, including technology management and transfer, employment and intellectual property policy issues
- preparation of materials transfer, licensing, clinical trial, manufacturing, supply and distribution agreements
- making companies ‘investor ready’, initial structuring requirements, venture capital negotiations and fundraising issues under the Corporations Act
- preparation of information memoranda, prospectuses, offer information statements, short form prospectuses and profile statements
- due diligence and verification for mergers and acquisitions, and capital raisings, and
- project management of entire capital raisings from exempt offers to IPOs, Australian and overseas stock exchange listing applications and ongoing ASX Listing Rules compliance.
The conduct, documentation and regulations (both legal and ethical) applicable to clinical trials are complex and dynamic. Having a legal team on your side that understands this process can give you a competitive advantage and help reduce your risk profile.
We advise national and international sites, clinical research organisations and sponsors on issues associated with the conduct of trials in Australia and the negotiation of clinical trial agreements.
Queensland has a strong presence in the highly regulated medical devices area. We have acted for a number of medical device companies in Australia, Canada and the USA, preparing licensing agreements for the manufacture and distribution of new products across borders and internationally.
We work closely with the food and agricultural industry and our own team of expert agribusiness lawyers to advise biotechnology companies, livestock, animal health and veterinary supply companies on issues such as breeder’s rights, propagation and growing contracts, agricultural inventions and technology, agbio collaborations and mergers and acquisitions.